What are the repercussions of accidentally injecting hydrogen peroxide into the vein?

Dr. Sabiha Banu

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 16 May 2017 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I accidentally injected hydrogen peroxide directly into a vein, (about .6cc) I don't feel anything strange but am I in trouble? Should I do anything?
Answered by Dr. Sabiha Banu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please visit the emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using Hcm.

Hydrogen peroxide has many useful properties when used in the right way.

Although it is used therapeutically in treatment of cancers,severe infections,gangrenes, antioxidant property as well in intravenous therapy.

6cc injected intravenously‚Äč accidentally should not cause you any problem.

But it is better to be careful,as it can cause haemolysis, which can be more fatal if not treated, especially in people with any blood disorders.
I suggest you to kindly visit an ER,and notify,to go ahead with the blood tests if required, before waiting for any complications to occur.

Hydrate well,

Kindly get back with the related doubts.
All the best.take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sabiha Banu 3 hours later
My apologies fir not being clear. It was 0.6cc, not 6cc's. Thank you for taking the time to offer your knowledg and helpful advice. e
Answered by Dr. Sabiha Banu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
conservative management.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for following up.
If it is 0.6 ml,do not worry.
But keep yourself properly hydrated.
If you feel any symptoms like severe pain at the site, vomiting sensation, severe pain with weakness, shortness of breath or any other symptoms, kindly report to the emergency or your treating doctor.
Hopefully you should not have any symptoms,by god's grace.
Please be careful and vigilant while using such preparations especially intravenously,not to repeat again.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj