Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea and dehydration

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have diarehia for 4 days i go to the bathroom about every hour i have been taking the maximum dose of immodiun ad. I am drinking plenty of fluids but I am concerned that I may be getting dehydrated. should I go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should go to emergency room.

Detailed Answer:

Initially check yourself for signs of possible dehydration.
look for the following signs-
Saliva has antibacterial properties in it, but dehydration can prevent your body from making enough saliva.If you’re not producing enough saliva in the mouth, you can get bacteria overgrowth and one of the side reactions of that is bad breath from chronic dehydration.Increased thirst and a dry or sticky mouth. Signs of fatigue, confusion or anger.Dry eyes or blurred vision. Headaches or disorientation.Dark or thick urine.All are indicative of dehydration.

If you have any of the above signs go to emergency room at the earliest.
As per your history you are already on high doses of imodium and nit responding.Most likely you are having bacterial or protozoal infestation.
Therapy with antibiotic and anti protozoal would be required.
Some times due to severe infection our intestines are inflammed to an extent that they can not absorb medicines taken orally properly.
In that case intravenous therapy is required.

Initially check for signs of dehydration.
However a visit to emergency room would be a good idea.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T