What are the repercussion of increasing Vyvanse dose?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 27 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: I was taking 70 mg Vyvanse once a day. It didn't seem to help, so I (on my own) increased the amount I took to two 70mg daily. That was such an improvement. Since I increased the amount I took, I used all the meds before it was time to get a new prescription. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
First thing do not lie

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all as you also know the maximum dose of Vyvanse is 70 mg per day and should not be crossed to 140 mg per day. At high dose the benefit of medication may be there but there are more chances of side effects and toxicity. I mean to say that avoid such experimentation in future. I understand that doctors also prescribe beyond 70 mg but the increment is just 10-20 mg on every occasion and never 70 mg due to risk of serious side effects.

Now when you go back to doctor you will be asked all sort of questions and in my view answer them honestly. I understand that you will get some critical comments but please understand that they are in your interest. Facing every question honestly will help the doctor to increase the dose off label for you if she feels necessary.

In case you do not communicate truth you may be dropped from treatment for breach of contract.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.