• question-icon

What are the pre symptoms of chicken pox? Is it contagious?

Posted on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Infections
Question: hi someone in the home has chicken pox. I am trying my best to avoid getting this as it seems to be painful.
what can i do ? The inecfected person is taking Aciclor A P 1g . Should i experience any symtoms fever, pains or itch and i begin taking this medication however i then find out it is not chicken pox will it cause a problem? How long should this medication be taken for chicken?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No medication to take for prevention

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The treatment of chicken pox is mainly symptomatic and not actually a treatment. The best thing to do at this point in time is prevention for you. You need not share material or dresses, clothing nor any body contact at this point in time. The infected person need to iron all her dresses.

Treatment requires anti viral drugs only when it does not react to the symptomatic drugs. Drugs again itches ( anti histamines), topical antiseptics or anti septic soap and drugs to reduce fever and aches (analgesics) should be sufficient. Amelioration should be obtained within a week of symptom management.

I suggest the child should be evaluated by a physician for prescription of appropriate symptomatic treatment. Persons who have developed chicken pox in the past have a very reduced risk of developing it again later in life.

You need not take any medication to prevent chicken pox at this point in time.

Thanks and kind regards. Avoid direct body contact and sharing of clothing. Preventive antivirals do not help. Be calm and observant for now. Kind regards and no worries.

Bain LE, MD.

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain