Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

What are the possible causes for blurred vision?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I have had three experiences over the past month where my vision is blurred, but not across my full visual field. It begins as a pixelated spot on my left side and over a period of minutes advances into a large pixelated C shape across my whole visual field with clear vision in the center. It effects both eyes exactly the same. This subsides and resolves within an hours time.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Transient blurring of vision needs evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you had three episodes of blurring of vision which initially appears as small spot and which gradually spreads to involve the whole of the visual field leaving the central part affecting both the eyes. This is called as transient loss of vision. The common causes for this symptom are Migraine, uncontrolled hypertension, carotid artery diseases, retinal vascular diseases... Since you are elderly male, carotid artery diseases and retinal vascular diseases have to be considered first and they have to be ruled out by examination by a physician and ophthalmologist. The transient loss or blurring of vision is called as prodromal symptom and it usually indicates some diseases which decrease blood supply to retina or to the brain. However by appropriate evaluation and treatment the underlying serious diseases can be controlled. In younger patients and rarely in older patients transient loss of vision can be caused by migraine. Though migraine is usually associated with head ache, some types of migraine like retinal migraine may not be associated with headache. Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for proper evaluation and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor