question-icon

What are the main differences between MUA, internal fixation, ORIF and DHS?

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017
Question: Please distinguish between MUA & Internal fixation and ORIF & DHS ? Whether the both surgeries come under same category ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
MUA and ORIF done.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached OT notes and X-ray. In this case, there seems to be a fracture in the hip that was fixed with the help of cannulated screws. It comes under MUA and internal fixation. Open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) of the fractured fragments is done in this case. No DHS ( Dynamic hip compression ) was performed. DHS is done in case of trochanter fracture with the help of plate. It is the decision of orthopedician which surgery will be best for the given fracture. Both these surgeries are done in hip fracture but nature of fracture in both the cases is different.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon