• question-icon

What causes persistent pain and discomfort in the fractured T7 vertebrae?

Posted on Thu, 17 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Two years ago I was diagnosed with a fracture at the T7 vertebrae. At the time, I was told that there appeared to be signs of an earlier fracture of the same site. I did recall pain a few months earlier. However, at that time, the intensity and symptoms were not as debilitatating as those which eventually took me to the ER for the oficial diagnosis.
I am a 63yo white female, fair, of slender build; and, have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Previously, I have had fractured ribs and a hip fracture.
My question is this: Often I experience significant pain/discomfort in the area of the vertebral fracture while doing dishes, or even lying down. Is it possible that there is a disintegration in the affected area? What, if anything, could be done to relieve these issues and make these symptoms more tolerable? I take Extra Strength Tylenol 500mg tab2 every 6hrs, with very little effect. Due to chronic GI issues, I cannot take NSAIDS.
In advance, thank you for your time and assistance.
Respectfully,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
The persistent pain and discomfort in the fractured area can be due to spondylosis that develops after a fracture. This is not suggestive of disintegration. You need to start with calcium and vitamin D3 supplements regularly and do back strengthening exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist. Applying heat and a local analgesic gel like Volini gel will also help you. You can get oral muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician in case the pain is severe.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Thank you for your timely response. I will follow your suggestions. Also, I am appreciative of the offer to be available for further follow up, if needed.
Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon