What are the chances of recurrence of microcephaly in fetus?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
I had a kid with microcephaly 6months back and he was there till he get 1 month after that expired because of same issue,he born on 12th april 2015 with C-section dlivery. till 9 months I didn't have any infections or fever and tiffa reports were fine but in my 9th month growth scan they said baby head size was below 3rd centile and the problem continued and he died after he born.
Now Which tests we need to take up again to try for next time and I suspect im pregnant again what happens if we go for tests now? and can we continue this.
we dnt have any family history like this and we are not relatives.
genetic tets were performed on my son after he born all were fine but Dr's were telling even they can't tell the reason for this.
what is your suggestion on this for us,
Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you can continue it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and feel very sorry about it and can understand your concerns about it.
Yes,it is true that it is very difficult to find out the cause of your problem.
If you are pregnant right now,you can continue your pregnancy under strict supervision and in expert hands.
You should take folic acid tablets and get your triple marker test,blood sugar,second level ultrasound scan time to time.
Three ultrasound scan should always be done,one in each trimester.
So do not take much stress and enjoy your motherhood.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 26 minutes later
Thank you for your detailed answer XXXXXXX madam
and do we need to have any genetic tests and will it be a problem of having very close pregnancy after C-section delivery,How much it will be helpful if we go for genetic tests now.
Now I am using FOL-XT and basics tablets will they are sufficient or do I need to take any other extra tablets, before consulting my Doctor
and if it is not +ve after how many months we can try again.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need of genetic testing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for the long delay in my response.
I think there is no need of genetic testing.
There is no need of other medications.
You can continue pregnancy and get yourself tested time to time.
If she is not pregnant than you can try after one year.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.

Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 days later
Hi Madam,
Now its negative I go my period yesterday,
and can you help in one thing that please guide how much will be the chance of recurrence of such things, and one observation from my side as far as i remember is that umbrical cord was so thin what could be he reason for that and ll it be a cause of microcephaly?
Im uploading my baby's reports after his birth and MRI please check once and guide me.
thanks in Advance
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
The chances are not very sure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for a very long delay in my response.
I have gone through your child reports and may be you are right but mostly in such cases it is very difficult to find out the cause and usually cause is genetic.
And sometimes it is very difficult to find out the cause.
The chances of recurrence are low,so you can try after 6 months to one year.
Give her folic acid continuously and give her good diet.
You should consult immediately a Gynecologist when she will miss her period.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj