What are the chances of pregnancy through non-penetrative sex?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I had a question regarding pregnancy risks. My boyfriend and I were fooling around Sunday night, but agreed to not have intercourse (we've never had intercourse before and I've never had intercourse ever). That being said, we were "handsy". I briefly grabbed his penis (not the tip) before putting it back away (unsure if he ejaculated or not). When he went to wash his hands, I did not wash my hand. He gave me the towel he used to dry his hands to me to at least dry off my hand. Even though we'd both been wearing our undergarments, what is the likelihood for pregnancy in this scenario? I'd only laid out my hand on my side before "cleaning it", and there was no penetration going directly into my vagina. That being said, I had concerns just in case I did have semen on my hand, and with my period planning on coming within a week, I wanted to know the risk I'd put myself in for pregnancy? I'm currently off my birth control pill (for cramps) and have no desire to get pregnant. I realize it sounds like a ridiculous question given that I've learned about sexual health through school, but I did have some concern given that my personal experience is limited. My partner and I have discussed engaging in protected sexual activity and the risks it brings should we go into it gradually. If you could clarify the potential pregnancy risk with further information, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO RISK OF UNWANTED PREGNANCY

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to helathcaremagic.
I appreciate your concern to seek information on safe sexual practices.
In your case as both were wearing their undergarments na there was no penetration/ intercourse or for that matter no ejaculation , then just mere stroking and hand job without ejaculation near the vagina or that semen covered finger entering the vagina, there are no chances of pregnancy at all. So please don't stress out.
As you have been off your contraceptive pills, i suggest you should restart low dose oc pills again as you both are contemplating sex in future along with condoms ( for std protection as well).
Nevetheless, there are no chances of pregnancy after this episode.
Please relax.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist