What are the chances of pregnancy post an unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
The question is regarding occurrence of pregnancy. I and my wife had unprotected intercourse last night. She had her menses started on 21-Jun and took the nominal time. To my knowledge (pls correct me if I am wrong) , Ovalution starts after 14th day of the date on which periods start (Day one is the period's start date) and sperm lasts for three days so we had the intercourse nearly on the day where chances of pregnancy is very more. As of now, we are not planning of having child. Kindly advise the
possibility of pregnancy based on above details. Please share the safest way to mitigate the same which may not cause any harm in desirable pregnancy in future.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give your wife an I-pill.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You had an unprotected intercourse during the fertile days of the cycle. The chances of pregnancy are resent. To avoid the pregnancy, it is best to give your wife an emergency contraceptive pill- I-pill. This pill if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex prevents pregnancy in 97% cases.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for the answer doctor. Please suggest if consuming i-pill would be safe enough and will not cause any harm in pregnancy in future. Also, we would be glad to know any mean other than consuming pill if possible.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
I-pill is safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Consumption of I-pill once in a while is safe and does not affect the future pregnancies. It can cause mild nausea, intermittent spotting and a delay by few days in next period. There is no other safe way to avoid the unwanted conception now.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.