What are the chances of pregnancy after intercourse on 5th day of period?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I was worried last time that i might be pregnant even though I had sex only first day of period with condom and pull out. Well thanks God, my period came on 23 of July (a week ago). But now I am worried again :

since I was not able to meet my boyfriend the first day of my period on 23, we met on the fifth, sixth and seventh day of my period which is (27, 28 and 29 of July), bleeding was moderate on 27 and light the following two days.

We used double condom from the very start before any touching and he pulled out way before he finished, actually he needed to masturbate while outside of me to be able to finish on the three occasions. I aloud this to happen to be extra safe.

My problem is that I made a vow before to never have sex except on first two days of period before heavy bleeding with condom and pull out, to minimize any chance of getting pregnant, since for now I have a lot of anxiety to use pills (since I am 35 years old) or IUD. Since if I have sex any other day I end up with a lot of anxiety that takes over my thinking.

But since I was not able to meet him this time on first two days of my period we had sex on day 5,6 and 7 of period. Today it's day 8 and period stopped completely since yesterday.

Well my anxiety of weather or not there is a chance of pregnancy as a result of this is taking a toll on my thinking now. My question is what are there any chances ? first we used condom from the start, second he pulled out way before finishing and had to masturbate outside, third I still had little blood from my period, and also fourth I made the condom water test on the three occasions and it was ok, no leakage or anything.

But what worries me is that according to some websites, sperm can live up to a week in the vagina, and when try to calculate what my day of ovulation would be it can be on 2 of August earliest. Second even though he never finished inside, they say precum can have sperm, but what are the chances that a sperm from precum leaked out of condom and will live until the day of my ovulation ? also sometimes they say women can ovulate during period !!

Please help, is there any chance of pregnancy ?
Also I am thinking of combining condom and pull out with IUD, but there are many scary storied about how IUD can cause proliferation of uterus, is it really safe ?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IUD is safe; only needs periodic checkup.

Detailed Answer:

Your chances of conception in the current scenario are very very less. This is due to- firstly, you were in the safe period at the time of the intercourse, secondly, you used double condom, thirdly there was no ejaculation inside.

Pre-ejaculate can cause conception if discharged directly into the vagina during the fertile period and this did not happen in your case. Sperms can live for a maximum of 7 days, but optimum life is 3-5 days where they have the potential to be active.

Ovulation can never occur during a menstrual period unless you have an uterine abnormality with a double uterus and ovulation twice a month. Please do not stress unduly about this. You can safely have unprotected intercourse during the first week of the cycle and also the last week as you have 30-day cycles.

You can fit in an IUD to help you out of this anxiety every month. You only need to check the position and get periodic check up. The failure rates are very low.

Please consult a specialist to see if you are fit to get an IUD and if so, get it inserted in the next cycle.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.