• question-icon

What are the chances of HIV transmission through unprotected oral sex?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: HI
Today i went to a spa and have sex with a girl. I didnt do any penetration. Just Handjob and mouth to mouth kiss. I am now afraid of hiv infection. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no risk of hiv from this particular encounter

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and i have understood your concern.

There is no risk of Hiv through this particular act. Hiv does not spread through intact skin like skin to skin contact during a handjob.
Kissing is also not a route for Hiv transmission because saliva is considered to be inhibitory to Hiv and virus does not survive in saliva.
The most common route of Hiv transmission is through unprotected vaginal or anal sex with an infected sexual partner.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist