question-icon

What are the chances of HIV through shared clothes with blood stains?

Posted on Thu, 31 Jul 2014
Question: Hi Dr.

I went to saloon for shaving where barber uses new razor but there was a small cut and blood come out. So he uses a piece of wet clothe having alum to rub the cut area and he proceeded further. Can HIV spread through this manner? I went for HIV test 6 weeks later to this incident and was tested negative in rapid test method. Am I OK?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
HIV risk is remote.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Wiping with a wet cloth or with alum, HIV risk is almost nil. Nothing to worry. HIV organisms are very fragile and can not thrive outside the human body and body fluid even for seconds. If there is such a risk, HIV cases would be rampant in all developing countries in an unproportionate manner. It is not so.

HIV Rapid test would become conclusive only after 12 weeks after the high risk contact. But your risk is negligible.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan (43 minutes later)
Hi Doctor!

Thanks for your answer.

I had just a two small queries. What are the chances of HIV if the barber is cleaning the cut area with a wet cloth having blood present on clothes. Should i go for XXXXXXX test instead of rapid test for better result? As I told you i conducted rapid test in a lab and result was negative after 42 days of incident.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Further test is unnecessary as the risk is remote.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Rapid test, as I mentioned earlier, would be more conclusive after 12 weeks following the high risk exposure.
But the test is not necessary for you, as this sort of transmission practically unheard, from a cloth used by a barber. Forget about this incident. Your risk for HIV is negligible.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan (2 hours later)
Thanks doctor!

Before i read your suggestion i went for XXXXXXX test and result was negative. I think as you have suggested there is no need to worry. Thanks a lot for your answer.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
You are welcome. If you have any more queries feel free to ask.
Have a great day
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist