Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Ways to quit drinking?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
If I have drank for a long time but really want to do I? Just stop? Because then I shake and get really high blood pressure. I really want to quit though....please help me
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well first thing i would suggest you to enroll yourself in drug deaddiction centre that will help you out in overcoming this problem in every aspect . Regarding medical therapy Acamprosate, disulfiram and topiramate are used to treat alcohol addiction.
Naltrexone decreases relapse to heavy drinking by attenuating the rewarding effects of alcohol.Cognitive-behavioral therapy, Multidimensional family therapy, Motivational interviewing etc are used in behavioral therapy to protect from relapse .

You will not be able to leave alcohol immediately as you are getting withdrawl symptoms in form of tremors and high BP . It is wiser to go slow and steady.

You should get your routine blood tests like CBC , urine r/m , RBS done to get base line evaluation . A complete liver function test including gamma GGT is required specially for alcohol evaluation as liver is the first organ to be damaged by alcohol . A USG abdomen to look for fatty liver changes is also required.This will give you an idea how much damage your body has incured because of alcohol .

Hope it suffices .

Wish you good health .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor