Owl Image

Wart infection in penis shaft. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Question
going crazy over my genital wart infection... I had one wart in my public area in Oct of 2012. I went to dermatologist and he removed it... Sent it to lab and came back as wart.... I went back two months later and he found a small garden variety on the shaft of my penis... I showed him when I went in October and he told me they were nothing... Now he says they are warts and writes me a prescription for a cream.. The cream worked after only 3 days and I have been wart free since... I am concerned because everything I read online says I probably have HIV? WHAT???? I admit I have had PROTECTED sex with a positive bottom two years ago... I topped him using a condom.. He did give me oral without a condom... WHy do all websites say that having HPV is the same as HIV??? Freaking OUt here!
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

HPV is not at all HIV.Both are completely different viruses.
And you can take my word on that, please relax now.

Since there is one STD , one always needs to rule out other possible sexually transmitted diseases.

So, it would be good idea to get a screening for HIV done.This will help to relieve your anxiety as well.Again if it was protected sex with no other risky sexually encounters, then even possibility of HIV is unlikely.

Hope this answers your question and relieves anxiety as well.

Regards.