Using retin-a for rosacea. Spots appeared on neck, chin and chest area. Proper cure?

Dr. Pravin Banodkar

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I am 57 yrs. old, and smack in the middle of menopause. I have rosacea (the blemish kind) on my face that I've been treating with retin-A. A few weeks ago, I got a couple of blemishes on my neck and under my chin. Knowing that the skin on my neck is super-sensitive, I just lightly dabbed those spots with the retin-A. My skin kind of overreacted, and the redness spread to my neck and chest. (It can be very itchy.) I stopped using the retin-A on those areas immediately, but now I have a permanent heat rash. It's very red, itchy, and irritated. I've tried using Benadryl, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for the query posted.
I would be pleased to assist with your problem.
You have got Irritant Contact Dermatitis . In the Winter when the humidity level in the air decreases , the skin becomes more sensitive .

The Retin A cream should be avoided totally on your skin now . It exfoliates the skin and has resulted in your condition .

You have taken the right step by stopping the Retin A cream. You should use over the counter Cortaid cream which will help in reducing the irritation . Bendaryl does not help in irritant contact dermatitis .
Please do book an appointment with the Dermatologist for a follow up .
Thanks