Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Type 2 diabetic, no insulin, gets spikes. Visit ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2570 Questions
At what (high) blood sugar level and/or symptoms should someone head to the ER? My husband is a type 2 diabetic, no insulin. He gets spikes, but when should we really be concerned?
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

This is a very important question one has to know with diabetics being around you. As for Diabetes Type 2, these patients do not typically develop the severe and XXXXXXX form of high blood sugar known as ketoacidosis. However, type 2 diabetics can develop dehydration and blood sugar high enough to require hospital admission.

Generally, if your husband has weakness, mental status changes or signs of dehydration these are signs to take him to the hospital. Otherwise, a blood sugar higher than 250 would certainly be cause for concern and if that were the case and he were my patient, I would want to see him right away.

If his sugars are spiking, he may need an adjustment of his metformin or possibly an additional medication to help keep the blood sugar more stable. If he is able to exercise, then a few pounds of weight loss can help quite a bit as well.

I hope this answer has been both informative and adequate for you. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor