Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Trying to reduce weight. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10295 Questions
Do I want to reduce my weight, Please suggest me how can I reduce my weight.
My weight is 80Kgs for 180cm Height
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

At a weight of 80 kg and height of 180 cm , your body mass index is 24.7.
Body mass index is calculated by dividing a persons weight in kilograms by their height in meters (the height is squared).
It determines if the weight is appropriate for the height of the person, the taller a person is the more weight he or she can have.

If the BMI is less than 18, the person is classified as underweight.
If the BMI is between 18 and 24.9 - normal weight
If the BMI is between 25- 29.9- over weight
If the BMI is above 30- obese

At a BMI of 24.7, you would be classified as normal weight, though at the high end with a risk of tipping over into the over weight section- BMI greater than 25.

If your BMI was to go higher into over weight and you actually needed to lose weight then this is done by a combination of dietary changes and exercise.
The diet changes are more important in the weight loss aspect and the exercise in keeping the weight off.
In terms of diet, it would be important to eliminate sodas and fruit drinks because these provide excess calories. Replace them with soda.
Reduce the amount of carbohydrates used (carbohydrates stimulate insulin production in the body and insulin results in storage of fat)-.Carbohydrates are found in bread, biscuits, cereals, flour, rice,pasta, pastries, high carb fruits
Use increased amount of salads and vegetables

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor