Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Treatment for brown crusty nipples

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have brown crusty nipples on and around the nipple
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

In order to be able to provide you with most suitable advise, I would like to know a detailed history including ,
1. Onset, duration and progress of symptoms, dimensions and description of lesions.
2. Any preexisting allergy or skin eczematous condition .
3. Any associated symptoms like lump, discharge or pain in breast .
4. Any general illness or any long term medications taken.

As of now assuming you have no other features except crusting of nipple and areola around it , the most likely diagnoses could be either as minor as nipple eczema or as severe as a breast neoplasm called pagets disease.

Pagets disease is a malignant condition of breast with features very similar to dermatitis ( skin irritation )or eczema of nipple.

The first symptom is usually an eczema-like rash, usually only affecting one nipple. The skin of the nipple and areola may be red, itchy and inflamed. Some women have an itching or burning sensation. Fluid (discharge) may leak from the abnormal area of nipple. The nipple may turn inwards (be inverted). There may or may not be a lump in the breast, and there may be redness, oozing and crusting, and a sore that does not heal.

The symptoms usually affect the nipple and then spread to the areola and then the breast. It is common for the symptoms to disappear for a while, which may make the patient think incorrectly
that the condition has cleared up spontaneously.

But it can recurr or persist for more than a month, in which case it's best to get a breast examination and biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

So if this has been since more than a couple of weeks,I would advise you to consult a surgeon for a physical examination and if required a biopsy or mammogram to confirm the diagnosis.

If since a couple of days you may wait and watch for response to local antiinflammatory antibiotic ointments as per your doctors advice.

Hope I have answered your query.

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor