Treatment for Fibromyalgia?
Thanks for writing to us.
Treatment of fibromyalgia is symptomatic. There is no specific treatment available as no specific cause is identified. Pharmacological and non pharmacological measures are used in combination to get a good control of pain and for a long symptom free period.
Non pharmacological measures
Relaxation and stress management technique-as stress is the responsible for the worsening of the fibromyalgia symptoms.
Yoga and pranayama- for anxiety and stress relief
Wax therapy, ultrasound and infra red technique- to relieve pain
Acupuncture and acupressure in some cases may relieve pain and discomfort
Muscle stretching and strengthening exercise- this if overdone will cause increased pain and stiffness
Aerobic exercise and swimming-offer some improvement in the pain and muscle stiffness
Diet – a good nutritional balanced diet is required fish oil, magnesium and malic acid has some advantage in reducing the severity of pain.
Pain reliving drugs- NSAID’s are the initial drug of choice followed by short course of low dose steroids when needed
Antidepressants- SSRI and SSNRI are used in selected cases
Anti seizure drugs- gabapentin and pregabalin are used for the relief of pain
Dopamine agonists-pramipexole and ropinirole
5-HT3 receptor antagonist tropisetron and guaifenesin.
Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mucinex fibromyalgia treatment
- Fatigue and fibromyalgia new treatments
- Fibromyalgia muscle spasms treatment
- What is the treatment for depression and fibromyalgia
- Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia
- Is guaifenesin la used in the treatment of fibromyalgia?
- Is skelaxin used in the treatment of fibromyalgia?
- Steroids for fibromyalgia treatment
- Latest treatment for fibromyalgia
- What is the treatment for chronic fibromyalgia
- Is SAAZ an effective medicine for Sacroilitis? Any alternate medicine?
- Suffering from external hemroids. Having irregular bowel movement and...
- What is knee resurfacing surgery? Can a person lead a normal life?
- Having soreness in arm. MRI of shoulder and knee done. What does the...
- Suffering with back pain. What should I do to get cure?
- Suffering from back pain. How to get relief?
- Having continuous pain in hand. How to get relief from pain?
- Have had fracture in ribs. Had a small pneumothorax. Why am I feeling...
- Found a lump on the leg. X-ray and ultrasound is to be done. What could...
- Is it safe to take vyvanse 100mg prior to surgery?