Took short course of oxandrolone long back. Responsible for indigenous testosterone secretion now?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a queston regarding short oxandrolone course i took when i14 and half years old. Is the oxandrolone therapy i underwent long time ago still responsible for my indigenous testosterone secretion NOW in adulthood??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 days later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Oxandrolone is an anabolic steroid which is a manufactured form of testosterone.
It is not thought to have a significant impact on testosterone levels at low doses.

There is a part of the brain called the pituitary that produces hormones that sends messages to the testes telling it to make testosterone.If the level of testosterone becomes too high, then a feed back message is relayed to this part of the brain telling it to stop stimulating the testes- this results in decreased testosterone production.

Because oxandrolone is a synthetic testosterone, the body may believe that there is elevated levels of testosterone.As a result there would be decreased stimulation of the testes to produce testosterone.This decreased stimulation can potentially result in atrophy (shrinking) of the testes.
If there is decreased size then this would potentially affect future production of testosterone.

If the dose was low , which is likely was since you were so young, and the course short then it is unlikely that the above would have occurred.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX ,

How about its effects on HPG axis ....does a short course of anabolic steroids taken during childhood (early stages of HPG maturation) have any 'lasting' legay on future fully activated HPG axis??

Or is this wrong logic to ?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Hi, the axis is influenced by the present level of hormones. It operates on a feed back mechanism , so the levels of the hormones secreted by the hypothalamus and pituitary are influenced by the level of hormones made in the end organs.

Feel free to ask anything else