Took i pill after having unprotected sex. What does slight spotting indicate?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i had an unprotected sex on 4th Nov and took ipill on 5th . I had unprotected sex again on 6th. I had slight bleeding/spotting today..a week after this. What does this indicate ? Does this mean i am pregnant..what are the chances?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Before answering your query, I need some additional information to assist you better and give proper guideline. 1) What is your last menstrual period (LMP) date? 2) Is your period regular or irregular? Duration of flow? 3) Did you take the pill within first 24 hrs of sex or after that? Waiting for your response. Answer the queries at the earliest. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Hi my periods have been irregular ( i have missed last two periods).However, I have not had sex for around 9-10 months prior to this one which i had on 6th Nov. generally they last for 3 days with a normal flow. I am a scientist and my work requires lot of mental stress...I generally sleep at 5 in the morning and sleep less due to work. i took the pill in about 19 hours of having sex. though i had sex again next day and did not take pill which i have already mentioned to you. could you please tell me what this slight bleeding indicate. what are the chances i am pregnant?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: WITHDRAWAL BLEEDING. LOW CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for giving detailed information. Followings are my comments: 1) I-pill gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within first 24 hrs of unprotected sex. Next, you did unprotected sex again on 6th November (one day after taking I-pill) and not take any kind of emergency pill on that day. Theoretically, one I-pill can give protection for next 3 days. Herein, chance of pregnancy is quite low but you need to confirm that by home pregnancy test after 20th November (2 weeks after last sex). Early test is less significant. 2) Slight bleeding or spotting is due to withdrawal effect of the I-pill. It is a quite common and physiological phenomena. You wouldn't be worried about this. It will stop automatically within 2-3 days and no treatment is required usually. Just maintain your genital hygiene properly. Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me. Wish your good health and practice safe sex next time. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW