Toddler is having congenital hypothyroidism. Took neopeptine. Constipation cured. Safe remedy?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 9 May 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my baby is 1 month 25 days old. He has congenital hypothyroidism and taked 37.5 ugm Thyronorm daily. He had stopped passing stool and was suffering from gas and flatulence, and bouts of vigorous crying mid-afternoon and mid-evening most probably due to abdominal pain. (Crying stopped when we gave Decolic 6 drops). My ped prescribed Neopeptine 2 times daily. On starting Neopeptine, he started passing stool once daily. Now 7 days are over and ped asks to stop Neopeptine. My concern is that, was my son's constipation being helped by Neopeptine and will his bowel movements stop once he is taken off Neopeptine? Is Neopeptine the remedy for constipation in infants? Please help clear my doubt.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Passing stool once in 3 to 5 days in this age group who are exclusively breastfed child is a normal thing and nothing to worry as the stool will be like paste and soft and not considered as constipation.

The bouts of vigorous crying in the afternoon and evening is due to Colic. For this problems you can give Decolic as and when required as per the prescription.

But gas and flatulence is the problem in infants. Colic and flatulence is a common issue in children around 2 to 3 months and as the age increases these issues will settle down.

Neopeptine helps to relive the gas, helps for digestion, and causes soothing on gastrointestinal tract.

Neopeptine has no role in the treatment of constipation. And it is not a remedy for constipation in infants.

His bowel movements are not affected by the start or stop of Neopeptine drops so nothing to worry.

You can use Neopeptine drops for flatulence as and when required with your Pediatrician prescription.

This type of bowel pattern in infants who are exclusively breastfed is a normal phenomenon and it is not considered as constipation.

Continue his thyroid medication as advised and be in regular follow up for his congenital hypothyroidism.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 days later
Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful.

My baby has to be supplemented with Nan1 twice daily because my milk is not sufficient for him. I had a C-section. However his stool is like paste and soft as you said, no hard stool. He does pass stool about once every day, and doesn't pass stool on some days. But he strains repeatedly, utters shrill groans while raising his legs and twisting his mouth, and cries, often every day. We thought it is an effort to pass tool, but he does this even on days he does have bowel movements. He usually ends up passing urine.

Also, every night after his 2:30 a.m. feed, he twists and turns and moans and folds up his legs in his sleep up to 6:30 a.m. and then goes into deep sleep from which it becomes difficult for us to wake him for his next feeding (he usually eats every 2-3 hours in the daytime). What is wrong with him? Is it due to gas problems?

Also, how long can we let this 2 months' old baby sleep without feeding if he is in deep peaceful sleep? Can a baby go to sleep even when hungry? Please help.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

As you are supplementing with Nan 1 feeds in addition to breast milk, be careful in preparing, handling, and while feeding this formula to prevent infections.

Proper reconstitution and feeding the formula with a spoon or paladi is appropriate.

Infants usually do straining efforts at passing stools, urine, and some times at passing even gas.

These straining episodes will be due to his normal efforts to pass stools or urine and nothing to worry.

The twists, turns, moaning, and folding of legs after feed in the night looking like a normal activity which is observed normally in infants.

After this feed, hold the baby in upright position for 10 to 15 minutes and burp the child after feed to make him comfortable.

In the night there is no need to wake the child for feeds for every 2 to 3 hours.

Feeding on demand is the best method of feeding in term infants. Whenever child wakes up in the night with hunger you can give breast feeds.

Whenever baby feels hungry usually wakes up and cries for feeds. So there is no need to wake up the child for feeding.

And once again thank you very much for your appreciation for my answer.

Regards.