Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Thigh injury, swelling, painful to touch, done icing and taking Tylenol. Want to get it checked

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
My dad is normaly very active at 79 he fell two days ago and hit upper thigh against concrete step we see no bruising some swelling but very painfully to touch .iam worried I wantto have him checked outhe is a little stoborn when it comes to doctors or er is there something to worry I tired ice heat and tylenol because he can't take any NSF because bloodthinner
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 49 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can see that you are concerned about your father's condition and I am glad that you are seeking medical advice for the same.

I want to clarify one thing. Is he walking around normally or is he limping with pain?

Falls in elderly people can very challenging and can lead to troublesome injuries. Bones get easily fractured in elderly patients (because of osteoporosis).

The commonest injury after fall in elderly patients is a fracture of neck of femur (long bone in the lower extremity). This requires immediate treatment (in form of surgery); otherwise, it can lead to necrosis of the bone.

If he is able to walk after the injury, this fracture seems unlikely.

There can be a fracture of the pelvis (waist bone) and other bones of the leg after injury and it is always prudent to get an X-ray of the leg to rule out these conditions. Consulting an orthopedician will also help you in selecting an appropriate painkiller for your dad (considering that he is on cumiton).

Until the time you take him to the ER or doctor, you can continue with the hot fomentation and Tylenol for pain relief.

Hope everything turns out to be normal.

Do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor