Thick discharge from nose, green with blood, unable to breath in cold weather, running nose. History of broken nose. Causes for nasal discharge?

Dr. CS Narayan

Posted on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have a thick clear jelly-like substance which comes out of my nose when I blow it - it can take several very strong blows to 'release' it. When I blow it feels like it is very high up in my nose. I've had this problem for about two years, every day. When I get a sore throat (right at the top back, where I imagine my nose meets my throat) the 'discharge' from my nose can be XXXXXXX in colour with blood through it and it also looks like it has 'tissue' in it.

I can't breath well through my nose and when I am out in cold weather it constantly runs. There are times (3-4 times a year) when I get 'a very bad cold (that's the only way I can describe it as it is a runny nose) when my nose runs incessantly (constantly dripping water) - it starts with one nostril and then moves to the other nostril and often ends up with both nostrils running. It lasts about 2-3 days before it dries up. There is nothing I can do but stay in bed as it is so debilitating. I just need to keep tissues applied to my nostrils to soak up the dripping, and then throw them away after a couple of minutes when they are completely sodden. I would use 2 boxes of tissues in 2-3 days. Blowing does not clear the dripping for any period of time as the dripping is constant with no breaks. After my dripping nose dries up it then becomes a thick and XXXXXXX in colour, and this lasts for about a week or more before I go back to the normal thick jelly like clear substance.

I have had my nose 'broken' a couple of times (not officially diagnosed as broken but it is evident to look at it that it has been damaged) don't know if this is relevant.
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 7 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Your set of symptoms looks very evident of a lurking upper discharge, post nasal drip, thick mucous discharge laden with pus and blood, frequent sore throats etc.

I would suggest, it is high time for you to have a ENT consultation with some good xrays/investigations for your facial sinuses to rule out the foci of infections.

Yes, the nasal injury history that you have is an aggravating factor as the healing tissue may interfere with the normal drainage of the paranasal sinuses leading to stagnation of the secretions predisposing to infections.

You might be needing antibiotics on a course to begin with, if really diagnosed with infection with the doctor. It should be a while until all the infection goes away and your symptoms disappear completely. Long standing cough in your history also strengthens this diagnosis and would need prescriptions for a rational therapy.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil