Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Tested reactive for hep b core and non reactive for hep c antibody. Can I donate blood?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6247 Questions
My fiance donated blood and tested 'Reactive' for Hepatitis B Core Antibody (HBc) but not for Surface Antigen Hepatitis B(HBsAg) and Non Reactive for Hepatitis C Antibody. He told me that he contracted it at birth and that he can no longer donate blood because it has come up reactive twice for HBc. The first time he donated was somewhere around a year ago. What is the option now?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,
Hepatitis B Core Antibody (HBc), appears at the onset of symptoms in acute hepatitis B and persists for life. The presence of anti-HBc indicates previous or ongoing infection with hepatitis B virus.

The presence of HBsAg indicates that the person is infectious.

Your fiance is HBc positive and HBsAg negative.

To clear the picture, he needs to get Anti HBs done.

Hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs),positivity, indicates recovery and immunity from hepatitis B virus infection. Anti-HBs also develop in a person who has been successfully vaccinated against hepatitis B.

If anti-HBs is positive,it means he has acquired immunity, is not infective and can donate blood.

Hope I answered your query,

Feel free to ask any further doubts.

Wishing your fiance a good health.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tested reactive for hep b core and non reactive for hep c antibody. Can I donate blood? 16 hours later
So why is the blood bank saying he cannot donate blood if he tells me that he's been vaccinated?
According to blood bank he tested positive twice for HBc. How can we figure out when the initial infection occurred and what should be done to prevent it from being spread or future health problems for him?
Luckily I have been vaccinated less than 20 years ago so I should be ok, correct? But what are future precautions I should take or risk of getting it from him if he in fact is infectious and I end up living with him?
You said HBc is present at the onset of symptoms, does that mean he recently became infected?
What is there to do now?
He's not very honest regarding his history so I am rightfully concerned and just need to hear facts and the truth regarding this disease.
I have not perceived any symptoms in him so I believe it's asymptomatic.
How can I get answers?
We've been together going on 3 years now and known each other for 7 years, yet this is just now surfacing. Please give me as much details as you can so that I may be better informed. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
thanks for follow up,
I understand your concern, thats why I said get his anti-HBs done, if this is also positive surely he is vaccinated.
Be sure for one thing he is not infective now.
Its true that anti HBc, occurs in early infection. but it must be associated with surface antigen too.
Here I am sharing with you a link of the centre of disease control, you will get the entire detail in a tabular form, very easy to understand.
Hope this helps. let me know your doubts.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor