Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Tanned due to sun exposure. Suggest the treatment to get back original colour?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I got tanned very badly yseterday as exposed to Sun,how can i get my original colour back?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply sunscreen regularly and hydrocort cream

Detailed Answer:
Tanning is caused by sun rays increasing the melanin pigment production in skin.
To prevent further tanning and to get normal skin tone I usually advise patients
-Use good quality sunscreen regularly in day time.Application at 9 am ,12 noon, 3pm is ideal.
-A good quality sunscreen should have Sun protection factor of 30 or more.
-A night time application of mild steroid like hydrocortisone 1% cream is advised in my patients for initial 10-15 days.
-Later on I prefer a kojic acid ,glycolic acid ,liquorice extract containing cream at night time.
-A significant improvement should be expected at 3-4 weeks.
Also some additional treatments like chemical peeling and skin lightening masks are being used for my patients.

Hope this helps.
If you need any further clarification I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor