Taking medicine for migraine headache. Getting headache after taking head bath. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 16 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My wife has migraine head ache and she is taking medication whenever she suffers from head ache. But, another condition is that, whenever is does head bath, by the end of that day, she gets head ache so severely that she gets vomitings and she can't eat any thing. Please explain the condition and any way out to get rid of this. Please explain the Medications, Food habits, Personal care and any other care if required. Do exposure to sun light has any role to play here?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
The description of headache does fit into what is commonly seen in migraine. Different patients can have different triggers like head bath, sunlight, travel etc. Vomiting is also a part of migraine headache. Apart from the medications that she takes at the time of headache, she can be started on prophylactic medications which are intended at reducing the number of episodes of migraine. Apart from headache avoidance of known triggers is required. Food such as chocolates are known to trigger migraine.
Hope that answers your query. If you have more questions, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Piyush Ostwal 38 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.
As you said, avoidance of known triggers is required. But, Head bath, Sun light, Travel etc all these stuff are those things which cannot be avoided in our daily life. I think they can be controlled. Can you please suggest a diet chart or a similar diet process for her. Like,foods that needs to be taken more, foods that should be avoided, any excercises, like yoga/ meditation etc and any other caring tips.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
Yea as you have rightly understood, the triggers need to be controlled. There is no 'diet chart' which can relieve her of migraine. Only chocolates are the one's which need to be taken in low quantity. Apart from that there is no proven dietary recommendation. Yoga/ meditation is good in general for body and mind, but specific role in migraine is not proven.
Good luck.