Taking amlokind at for BP and pan 40 for stomach related problem. Suggest alternate BP medicine

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dr
My mother 67 yrs age bp patient on medicine
Amlokind AT 001

but last sunday BP was 170/90
& DR switched over her to Enace 5 mg 001
Amlokind 5 mg 100
Now she is feeling better. For stomache related problem she is taking Pan 40 as prescribed by dr.
Is this the right kind of medicine.

She is of hard working type but with lot of tensions. Biting cold in north has aggravated her pressure.
Any better medicines for her bp to be controlled. ECG report q3+ earlier.
Because drs are frequently cahnging the medicines and doses.
Enace -D / Enace like this. One times she fell down.
So my request to suggest better BP medicines combinations so that we can reveet back to our local DR.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 55 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are many CLASSES of drugs
There are several drugs in each class.
Each drug has a dose range.

Amlokind is amlodipine -CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKER (CCB)
     Atenolol is            BETA- BLOCKER
           Amlokind AT is a combination of both (5 mg + 50 mg)
Enalapril is                 ANGIOTENSIN CONVERTING ENZYME (ACE) Inhibitor
Hydro-chloro-thiazide is a      DIURETIC
          Enace-D is a combination of these two

There is a wide choice indeed – to suit different situations.
There is no single drug for all patients.
Each patient is unique and has different needs.

Usually the treating doctor chooses a drug depending on associated conditions, contraindications and so on – as an example: if the heart rate is high, if there is ischemia- a beta blocker is the choice. / If there is heart failure, ACEI or ARB / In asthma – CCB / and so on, so forth. There are other factors like local availability, affordability, compliance and so on.
Generally, ACEI or ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) is the usual choice.

In your case -
1- Continue the same.
2- If the pressure is not controlled, step up the dose.
3- If still high, add diuretic.
4- If poor still, add a third drug

Keep following up with ONE doctor – preferably Internist (MD or DNB - General Medicine).
In case of complication or problem, have second opinion – from Cardiologist or Nephrologist (DM or DNB)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 47 hours later
Hi Dr

My mother is now feeling weakness and weak fingers especially in the morning and evening. after DR switched over her to Enace 5 mg 001
Amlokind 5 mg 100 .

Legs also weak. Difficult to
stand up

Any B complex tablet will improve her condition. BP normal.

Pl suggest
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi

Good that the BP is normal.
B-complex helps in general well being.

The feeling of weakness may or may not be related to medicine - probably not. Cough is a common side effect of Enace (ACEI)
Swelling legs is common from amlodipine / muscle pain and weakness are rare indeed - but she is taking it before also / and hence least likely.

If it persists, she needs physical examination / she should have some investigations - like ECG, electrolytes and renal function.
If the symptoms continue, she may have to change her drugs.

All the best