Taken bio-identical thyroid hormones. Found decrease in bone density. What is the cause?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a bone denisty test 5 years ago which was excellent. I had one done now and it showed a significant decrease in density. I must say that I have taken bio-identical thryroid hormones under doctors guidance for 2 1/2 years. Can that have had an effect on bone density? I am a 65 year old female.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Taking relatively large doses of thyroid hormone such as levothyroxine sodium for many years tend to have a lower bone mineral density in arms, hip, and spine. There are some researches that conclude that women taking higher doses of thyroid hormone are at risk for accelerated osteoporosis.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E