Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Swelling and muscle pain in buttock. Uncomfortable to walk and sit. Looking for relief

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
Hi I have an area in my left buttock that is swollen and it feels like there is a mass it started like muscle pain tender like whenyou have been riding a bike. now there is a more prominent mass that is very tender becoming firmer and causes pain on my left buttock close to my pelvis. Painful to sit, also uncomfortable to walk now and constant throbbing the area has become larger and more firm touch as well as more tender.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
A painful firm mass in pelvic area with throbbing suggests an abscess. The pelvic area is highly prone to development of abscess due to XXXXXXX bacterial flora.

Here are my suggestions for you.
1 XXXXXXX a General physician and Start taking an antibiotic. You would need a combination of amoxicillin-clavulanate and metronidazole. Also, if the pain is too much, you can take Tablet Disprin 1 tablet dissolved in water after food.
2.Dont try to puncture it now, drainage should be done only when the pus points at a particular point. Warm compresses will help pus to drain. The drainage should preferably be done by a general surgeon.
3.Apply ointment mupirocin daily twice in that area to prevent further spread of infection.
Please see a physician for a prescription.
Let me know if you have any more questions

Wishing you a good health.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor