• question-icon

Suggest ways to rule out balanitis

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: There are red discoloration blotches UNDER the skin on my penis below the head about half way around. The skin is smooth and feels normal. I don't believe this is irritation as I have not had intercourse for about 6 weeks and have not masturbated during that time frame. My wife and I only have intercourse with each other and neither one of us have ever had a STD. I did have a Mrsa infection about two years ago. It is not sensitive or cause any pain and my urinary function is normal.
Note: about 6 days ago I went to the local hospital emergency room for an infected olecranon bursa (ED) on my right elbow and started to take Bactrim DS Tablet and Mobic 15mg tablet for a 10 days starting on 7/3/17. I do have Mupirocin ointment 2% can I use this on the area.
Thanks for your help, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to infection of Glans Penis (Ballanitis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Red discoloration patches on glns penis are mostly due to infection of Glans Penis (Ballanitis)

Are you diabetic ?

Start taking antibiotic like Cefixime and anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily along with topical antibiotic like Neosporin or Mupirocin for local application twice daily .

Ensure to wash your genitals with warm water twice daily.

Ensure to avoid sexual encounters till it heals up completely.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 22 minutes later
I am not diabetic. I am seeing my dermatologist on 7/11/17 for the bursa infection would she be familiar with infection of Glans Penis (Ballanitis) or should I see my urologist? I still have 4 days left on the Bactrim antibiotic. Can two different antibiotics be taken at the same time.
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can continue with Bactrim D.S

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

You can continue with Bactrim D S .

It is advisable to consult qualified Urologist .However your Dermatologist can also rectify and treat your problem .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist