Suggest ways to rule out ADHD

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 in ADHD
Question: Based on the above report, I have below questions. Kindly help.

1. How to confirm if my son is having ASD - Are these test are comprehensive to conclude ASD or still something else should be conducted before the conclusion?
2. I am aware that there is no cure of ASD, having said that what is possibilities for my son to improve the difficulty in controlling behaviors (i.e inappropriate laughing, self muttering, does not understand how to react in various situations, verbal communication and eye contact is also not good)-considering his age is 5.1 years ?
3. Please suggest who is the best doctor in ASD in XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX
4. Which treatment we should follow - HOMEOPATHY, allopathic or ayurvedic?
5. Can stem cell therapy for ASD be an option for my child?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on ASD

Detailed Answer:
Hi ...I understand your concern. These tests are quite good and comprehensive, but observer bias always exists to some extent on the administering person.

1. ASD kids usually have good IQ and I expect he might do better.

2. You can consult Dr. Venkateswaran in XXXXXXX Kamakoti CHILDS trust hospital in XXXXXXX

3. I suggest that you follow allopathic medicine.

4. Stem cell therapy for ASD is still in experimental stage and the results are not yet 100 percent clinically proven.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 hours later
Hi - thanks for your answers. I have 3 more questions - please help in answering

1. I am aware that there is no cure of ASD, having said that what is possibilities for my son to improve the difficulty in controlling behaviors (i.e inappropriate laughing, self muttering, does not understand how to react in various situations, verbal communication and eye contact is also not good)-considering his age is 5.1 years after treatment ?

2. You mentioned that Stem cell therapy for ASD is still in experimental stage and the results are not yet 100 percent clinically proven. However which is the best options to improve the problems

a) Occupational therapy, special educations etc.
b) Stem cell therapy

Can question-2 be forwarded to child Psychiatrist to get the view

3. Who is the best doctor in XXXXXXX Apollo Child hospital for ASD and in Kolkata?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on ASD

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. Coming to your queries one by one.

1. Usually if early intervention has been started at 2-2.5 years then 50% of the kids do well. If early intervention is not initiated then after 11 years there is a chance of flare of behavioral issues.

2. As I have already mentioned stem cell therapy is still in phase 3 trials (experimental). The best thing will be (as the kid is above 5 years now) - go ahead with - (a) Special Education (b) Applied Behavioral Analysis.

3. In Apollo no child psychiatrist is available per se. In Calcutta I suggest - Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Institute of Neuro Sciences, XXXXXXX Bazaar. His number is 0000.

4. I will not be able to forward the questions from here to another doctor.

Hope my interaction has been helpful for you.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth.