• question-icon

Suggest ways to manage type 2 diabetes

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a Diabetic patient and I have blood pleasure also. I would like to know the best diet procedures. I have some questions for you. 1. what kind of fruits and food can I have? 2. Can I have any diabetic artificial flours to eat or drink? 3. How many times do I need to check my sugar level per month? 4. Can you recommend any health tips for me? Could you please give me a valuable suggestions for me.
Best regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tips for good health

Detailed Answer:
Good day XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic.com. I presume you have Type 2 Diabetes. It would be helpful if you could provide any recent blood glucose, lipids, hba1c test values if any. What is your height and weight?
Coming to your questions.
1). what kind of fruits and food can I have ?
Generally, food which is high in simple carbohydrates like Sugar, white flour ( Maida), White breads are to be avoided as much as possible. Again processed foods like Bakery foods are to be limited. Limit your carbohydrate intake. Reduce saturated fats like Ghee, oils, butter etc. You have to use these fats in moderation. However, nuts are good and a great source of good cholesterol. Eat then in moderation ( 8-12 walnut or 10-12 Almonds or 100 grams of ground nuts etc). Fruits have to be limited. Fruit juices should be avoided if possible. Best fruits are berry, strawberry, goose berry, papaya, black berries, Guava etc. You may need to limit fruits like Mangos. You need to learn the concept of fruit exchange. ( one orange = one small pear = 8-10 small grapes = half banana = 6-8 small cubes of papaya). Take one portion( one fruit exchange) of fruit as snack in between main meals ( example at 11 am or 4 pm). It is best to avoid fruits along with meals and better to take them as mid morning or late evening snack. BISCUITS ARE NOTORIOUS . THEY have high calories and make you gain weiht and worsen diabetes.
Limit starchy vegetables like potato and increase intake of green leafy vegetables.
********************************
2. Can I have any diabetic artificial flours to eat or drink?
**************************************
Better to avoid them. We encourage natural fresh foods. Please do not get fooled by the labels of sugar free/fat free etc on food packets. However, you may use drinks like Glucerna after consulting your doctor.
*******************************************
3. How many times do I need to check my sugar level per month ?
If you are using insulin, you need to check blood sugars more than once per day. If you are using pills and if sugars are stable, you may do blood glucose at home 3-4 times per week.
************************************
4. Can you recommend any health tips for me?
Eat food in moderation. Reduce carbohydrates. Reduce dinner size. Avoid late dinners. Try to eat breakfast before 8.30 Am. Try to keep fixed time for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat fresh food. Eat locally available fruits in moderation. Do regular health check up. Try to achieve your ideal body weight. Do regular exercise for about 45 minutes atleast 5 days a week. Have dinner early before 7.30 pm . Sleep by 10 pm and try to sleep for atleast 8 hours.

Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist