Suggest ways to lose weight

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Male 42 years
Height : 5'8
Weight : 85 KG
No BP No diabetes No operation
Eye number 6+ and 1.5 cy
I am very much confused about which aerobic activity should I do from walking, running, cycling, scatting and skipping rope as daily process for better health
I walk around 6000 to 10000 steps daily
Kindly advice what is best for me to reduce fat and also for good health

Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query,

I have read through your query,

From the height and weight you have provided you seen to have your BMI in the overweight category.

Presuming you are having a proper balanced diet with low fat and sugar content, then the only method to reduce fat is to engage in physical exercise. I would suggest you to do the following:

- Exercise mode:
I would suggest two methods of exercises for you considering your age. You can engage in aerobic exercises and also in resistance training exercises.
Aerobic exercises aim at working on the cardiovascular system. If you are new to this form of exercise, I would suggest you to take it at a slow pace in the beginning. Always aim to keep your heart rate between 108 to 140 beats per minute to maximize the health benefits.

Resistance training is done to keep the muscles firm and lose fat easily. Resistance training for every major muscle group should be done twice per week with at least 48 hours of rest and recovery time between workouts. Two to four sets of 10 to 15 repetitions is adequate for maintaining muscle mass. You can discuss with your gym instructor about the different choices available and follow accordingly.

- If you would like to stick to a routine regimen of exercise, I would recommend you to maintain as: Increase physical activity to >30 min/day 5 times weekly, prolonged moderate-intensity aerobic exercise at 70–80 %, combined with low-intensity resistance training at 50 %.
That is, you can engage in brisk walking for atleast 45mins; cycling, jogging and skipping which falls in moderate intensity exercise; and low intensity resistance training like squatting, lifting weights.

I hope I have answered to your query,

Please feel free to discuss further,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 46 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt and perfect reply

Kindly advice me is 10000 steps walking is enough or should do more
Because I am comfortable to walk 10000 steps daily as 6000 steps in morning as a XXXXXXX walking and other 4000 steps in regular routing
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
10,000 steps is more than enough

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back,

10,000 steps walking per day is more than enough for you, because I would always advice not to over strain your legs and joints as after the age of 40, chances are high to develop osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. Also the wear and tear of the ligaments due to excessive stress may cause you health problems in the future.

Therefore,I would urge you to engage in combined modality of exercises which will focus on your entire body rather, and help maintain a healthy weight and disease free.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close and give your feedback.