Suggest treatment to manage pain post kidney transplant surgery

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I had a hernia and varicocele surgery in Aug 2013 and a kidney transplant in XXXXXXX 2014. The varicocele pain had cured after the surgery but has appeared again after the kidney transplant. How do I manage it without another surgery?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

It would be helpful if you could provide me additional information so that I am able to assist you better

1. Was the side of transplant same as that of Varicocele?

2. What was the indication for renal transplant?

3. Do you experience the pain due to Varicocele whole day or occasionally?

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh

Follow-up: Suggest treatment to manage pain post kidney transplant surgery 5 hours later
1: Yes, the transplant was done on the same right side.
2: I have polycystic kidneys. The creatinine level had gone up to 9.5. Both the kidneys were enlarged upto 23 cm. The right kidney was removed on 3rd May 2014 and the transplant (my mother donated her kidney) done on 20th XXXXXXX 2014.
3: I have the pain in the mornings. It subsides by afternoon. Of course I take Dolo 650 - one tablet after breakfast.
4: As a result of transplant I am on steroids ( Prednisolone 30 mg in the morning) and immunosupressant drugs.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good scrotal support will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

I would suggest you to get Ultrasound/Color doppler scan of Testis done before attributing the pain due to Varicocele .
As you have been operated for Varicocele before , even if there is recurrence it's unlikely to be of severe nature . Majority of them can be managed conservatively without Surgery .

I would suggest you the following

1. Good scrotal support: This is single most thing which will make a lot of difference. Wearing the right size underwear which is neither too tight nor loose will be helpful. Providing good Scrotal support will be helpful in majority of cases

2. Avoid prolonged standing

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak