Suggest treatment to get rid of snoring

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What is the medicine or treatment for heavy Snoring in sleep?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Snoring should be evaluated and investigated.

Heavy snoring can result in increased risk for stroke, heart attacks and road traffic accidents.

First you have to see your ENT doctor to rule out any obstruction in the nose like a grossly deviated nasal septum or polyps etc. If obstruction is present then it should be removed.

If there is no nasal obstruction then you will need to undergo a sleep study. Necessity of treatment is decided based on the findings of the sleep study. Not all snorers need treatment.

In a sleep study your various parameters like pulse rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, abdominal ,thoracic movements etc are recorded. Based on the findings it is decided whether treatment is required. Sleep studies can be done either at home, wherein a technician will hook you to the machines or it can be done in a sleep laboatory wherein you have to sleep overnight in a sleep lab where all the tests will be done while you are sleeping. It is better to get it done in a lab since a large number of parameters can be tested in a lab as oppsoed to the tests that can be done at home.

Snoring is largely managed with CPAP- continous positive airway pressure machines. The machine blows air of a certain pressure continuously into your nose or mouth. This pressure prevents collapse of the airway and resultant snoring. Claustrophobia, nasal stuffiness, skin abrasions are the commonest side effects. Getting used to CPAP machines takes a while but it provides a simple solution to the problem. Surgical treatment is considered only when there is complete failure of CPAP.

See your doctor,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi