Suggest treatment infected sebaceous cyst on penis

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, there is a pimple like structure on the foreskin near the head of penis. The structure has grown big in last 2-3 days, extremely painful ...has a white dot at top... Pls suggest what to do
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload a clear digital photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar.

I would require a clear digital photograph of the lesion, so that I may be able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Photo uploaded pls check
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infected Sebaceous Cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I have seen the photograph. I would keep a possibility of an infected sebaceous cyst.

The sebaceous cyst must have been there earlier. The reason for it recently becoming painful and bigger is that it has got infected.

If I was the treating doctor I would have suggested an oral antibiotic for a week.

My choice of oral antibiotic would have been either:

Amoxycillin 500mg in combination with clavulanic acid 125 mg (Tab. Augmentin 625 mg), thrice daily for a week

OR

Cephalexin 500 mg (Cap. Phexin BD) thrice daily for a week

OR

Cefadroxil 500 mg (Tab. Droxyl) twice daily for a week.

An OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% Mupirocin twice daily can be applied over the boil.

An OTC pain killer e.g Ibuprofen 400mg (bruffen tablets) twice or thrice daily, would provide symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Once the infection resolves, the cyst should be removed surgically under local anesthesia Or else it might get infected and painful, again in future.