Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment infected sebaceous cyst on penis

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7358 Questions
Hi, there is a pimple like structure on the foreskin near the head of penis. The structure has grown big in last 2-3 days, extremely painful ...has a white dot at top... Pls suggest what to do
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload a clear digital photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar.

I would require a clear digital photograph of the lesion, so that I may be able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment infected sebaceous cyst on penis 9 minutes later
Photo uploaded pls check
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infected Sebaceous Cyst

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the photograph. I would keep a possibility of an infected sebaceous cyst.

The sebaceous cyst must have been there earlier. The reason for it recently becoming painful and bigger is that it has got infected.

If I was the treating doctor I would have suggested an oral antibiotic for a week.

My choice of oral antibiotic would have been either:

Amoxycillin 500mg in combination with clavulanic acid 125 mg (Tab. Augmentin 625 mg), thrice daily for a week


Cephalexin 500 mg (Cap. Phexin BD) thrice daily for a week


Cefadroxil 500 mg (Tab. Droxyl) twice daily for a week.

An OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% Mupirocin twice daily can be applied over the boil.

An OTC pain killer e.g Ibuprofen 400mg (bruffen tablets) twice or thrice daily, would provide symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Once the infection resolves, the cyst should be removed surgically under local anesthesia Or else it might get infected and painful, again in future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor