Suggest treatment for worms in intestine

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Are there any medicines for worms in the stomach or intestine? What if it is a recurring problem? There's a slight ticklish feeling near the anal opening. there's no other pain or indication in the stool.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Albendazole

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Nice to see you again on this site.

There are medications for worms in intestines ( there can not be worms in the stomach due to acid and the adults do not have worms as common as children because the eggs of most of the worms are destroyed due to sufficient acids in adult stomach)
Albendazole a single dose on empty stomach is the best choice at the moment.

If this is a recurring problem, you have to get your stool checked on three different days as it can show the eggs , ova or cysts of particular worm/s.
You have to clean the hands with soap and water before food, wash the fruits and vegetable under running water. Open food should be avoided. Worms are spread by feco-oral route. Nails should be well pared.

Worms cause itching at the anal verge only at night, particularly the pin-worms.

The other reason can be intestinal bacterial infection casing this ticklish feeling near the anal opening, which should settle with antibiotics and metronidazole in a proper doses, which I discussed in your question on oral ulcers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Thank you. This itching is mostly at night atleast in the couple of occassions. So maybe it is pin-worm like u suggested. I will take albendazole and see. If the problem disappears, good else should I get done the stool test first or should I consume antibiotics as u suggested?

I am already very particular about hygiene but have consumed outside food so could that be the source?

Are some people more susceptible towards such things due to hereditary reasons?

Any foods to be careful with esp during the rains?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please go ahead

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you may please take Albendazole one on empty stomach and repeat another after 15 days.
You may please go ahead with the antibiotics.

Outside food can be the source, no one ever could imagine and think of this most common problem with outside food.

No hereditary connection are known.

Water Boiled for 20 minutes and cooled and only home-made freshly prepared foods are the best in rainy season.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
While I will takevAlbendazole, can you please prescribe me the exact dosage of antibiotics as well?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consult your local Doctor

Detailed Answer:
It is usually prescribed in 400mg single dose but you will need to see your doctor for prescription.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari