Owl Image

Suggest treatment for widow's hump

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am starting to bend over and I can't seem to help it...been told I am getting a dowagers or widow's hump. Is their any way I can can get help for this? Are there any exercises or traction machines that would stretch my body straighten up...
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mainly surgical treatment.

Detailed Answer:
A dowagers or widow's hump is a sign of advanced osteoporosis. It is the result of compression fractures of weakened vertebrae. These fractures can be painful, although in many cases there are no symptoms other than abnormal posture. This change is an alteration in the shape of the spine due to weakened, damaged bone.
Yoga and exercises or traction can cause a slight reduction in the curvature which is not very helpful. Treatment of osteoporosis with medicines can prevent further fractures and bone resorption.
Surgical procedure called “vertebroplasty” that involves injecting a type of "bone cement" into the vertebrae to stabilize them can help. It is usually effective for fractures less than six months old. To determine whether you're a candidate, you'll need spinal X-rays and an MRI or bone scan to identify the fractures and determine how old they are.
Another procedure, kyphoplasty, is similar and is used for patients with compression fractures in the lower half of the spine. It has the potential of restoring bone height in the vertebra and reducing spinal deformity.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal