Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

137 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for widow's hump

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10839 Questions
I am starting to bend over and I can't seem to help it...been told I am getting a dowagers or widow's hump. Is their any way I can can get help for this? Are there any exercises or traction machines that would stretch my body straighten up...
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mainly surgical treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
A dowagers or widow's hump is a sign of advanced osteoporosis. It is the result of compression fractures of weakened vertebrae. These fractures can be painful, although in many cases there are no symptoms other than abnormal posture. This change is an alteration in the shape of the spine due to weakened, damaged bone.
Yoga and exercises or traction can cause a slight reduction in the curvature which is not very helpful. Treatment of osteoporosis with medicines can prevent further fractures and bone resorption.
Surgical procedure called “vertebroplasty” that involves injecting a type of "bone cement" into the vertebrae to stabilize them can help. It is usually effective for fractures less than six months old. To determine whether you're a candidate, you'll need spinal X-rays and an MRI or bone scan to identify the fractures and determine how old they are.
Another procedure, kyphoplasty, is similar and is used for patients with compression fractures in the lower half of the spine. It has the potential of restoring bone height in the vertebra and reducing spinal deformity.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon