Suggest treatment for whiteheads

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Sir my age is 19 and I have Whiteheads and XXXXXXX bumps under my skin from last one year and they are not going from my face and I am using retino a cream but found no result please help me in this regerd.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Whiteheads/Closed comedones

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and I have understood it.

Whiteheads are the precursor lesions of acne. They are also known as closed comedones.

Retino-A cream contains tretinoin which is an excellent comedolytic agent and regular use would certainly prove beneficial for whiteheads.

However, there are other options like comedone extraction with a comedone extractor Or Chemical peeling with salicylic acid Or Oral retinoids (Isotretinoin)

I would suggest that you seek an appointment with a dermatologist in your region. You dermatologist might choose to perform Comedone extraction which is simple, relatively easy and gives the desired results Or else he/ she may choose to perform a salicylic peel. Salicylic acid is also an excellent comeolytic agent.

Oral retinoids e.g Isotretinoin are also an option to choose from. Oral Retinoids just like topical retino-A are also comedolytic agents. They are sebostatic as well, thereby decreasing excess oil production from the sebaceous glands.

So there are plenty of options to choose form.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for whiteheads 40 minutes later
my dermatologist said that I don't need acid peel or camedone extraction he said that glycol 6 cream and retino a will treat it after some time

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Retino-A is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Your dermatologist is absolutely right. That is what I also told you.

Retino-A cream contains tretinoin which is an excellent comedolytic agent and regular use would certainly prove beneficial for whiteheads. The results might take some time but would certainly be there.

Retino-A can cause some redness because tretinoin is inherently irritant. You just a pea sized amount to cover the entire face. If you feel that the irritation is troublesome, you may reduce the frequency of application to once every alternate night.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for whiteheads 2 minutes later
what do think about glyco 6 cream

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Whiteheads

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Glyco-6 cream contains 6% glycolic acid. It is an exfoliating agent and may have an mild additional benefit as a comedolytic agent but when used together with Retino-A it might also cause more irritation/redness in addition to the irritation caused by Tretinoin (Retino-A).

In my view Retino-A is good enough as a comedolytic agent.

However, if you can tolerate both of them (Retino-A as well as Glyco -6) without any bothersome irritation, you may use both of them.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for whiteheads 8 minutes later
sir do I have to pop these pimple or they will go after some time

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Follow the medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Please don't pop them. That might cause marks and scars.

Just follow the medication, they would surely resolve on treatment.