Does shaving or plucking of hair around the lips cause hair to grow back thicker?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have developed dark areas (of hair?) above and below my lips. They seem like shadows, not actual hairs. I do not like the way they look--should I cover them with makeup or buy the miniature electric shavers for fine hair on women? Perhaps they are just pores that have tiny hairs? If they are hairs, would shaving them off lead them to grow thicker and/or faster? Similar question regarding eyebrow hair: does plucking them lead them to grow thicker and/or faster? Would it be better to use the miniature electric shaver mentioned above? 2nd question: I have two dark spots (I believe they are sun damage) near one of my eyes. Should I cover them with makeup? (A dermatologist said she could perform a "chemical peel" for a high price. What is that and what risks are entailed?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Shaving or plucking does not make the hair grow faster or thicker. However, since shaving cuts the thinner distal part of hair including the tip of hair so after shaving the hair appears thicker at its distal end (as the thinner distal part and tip of hair is cut of) till the shaved hair is shed and is replaced by a new hair. Chemical peeling is a procedure that involves inducing a controlled injury to the outer layers of skin with the help of chemicals (like glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid etc) which is then shed/exfoliates. This controlled wounding then stimulates healing and the new skin that forms restores the outer layers of skin, is lighter in color and in the process removes pigmentation/ spots etc.
I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected areas in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.