What causes dark spots on the face after discontinuing Melacare forte cream?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
iam using melacare fore since 1 year for hyper pigmentation. if it stopped for 1 day also my face becoming dark. can i continue this one only or else any permanent solution is their. pls suggest
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop the cream that you have been using. It contains a potent steroid.

Detailed Answer:
hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Melacare forte cream contains a potent steroid i.e Mometasone furoate 0.1% apart from tretinoin and hydroquinone.
This cream should not be used as a regular fairness cream. It should never be used on face for more than 4 - 6 weeks and never without a dermatologist / doctor advice.
The steroid content present in the cream can cause various side effects like skin thinning, telangiectasias, photosensitivity, acne, hirsutism, dyspigmentation etc
I suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen (SPF 50) on face throughout the day. Reapply every 2-3 hours. At night you may use a safer option for skin lightening e.g a 2% kojic acid or 6-12%glycolic acid based cream. These creams too are available only on prescription, therefore, I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.