What causes dark spots on the face after discontinuing Melacare forte cream?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: iam using melacare fore since 1 year for hyper pigmentation. if it stopped for 1 day also my face becoming dark. can i continue this one only or else any permanent solution is their. pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop the cream that you have been using. It contains a potent steroid.

Detailed Answer:
hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Melacare forte cream contains a potent steroid i.e Mometasone furoate 0.1% apart from tretinoin and hydroquinone.
This cream should not be used as a regular fairness cream. It should never be used on face for more than 4 - 6 weeks and never without a dermatologist / doctor advice.
The steroid content present in the cream can cause various side effects like skin thinning, telangiectasias, photosensitivity, acne, hirsutism, dyspigmentation etc
I suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen (SPF 50) on face throughout the day. Reapply every 2-3 hours. At night you may use a safer option for skin lightening e.g a 2% kojic acid or 6-12%glycolic acid based cream. These creams too are available only on prescription, therefore, I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.