Suggest treatment for weakness and fatigue

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: My mother is experiencing upper body weakness, lack of energy, and a deep fatigue which appears to steal her stamina even during a simple walk with her rat terrier dog. He voice is hoarse when she speaks and as yet she has not had an effective diagnosis. What kinds of tests or measures should we be looking at?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete hemogram and thyroid profile.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on clinical history, tests necessary are:

1. Complete hemogram or complete blood counts to evaluate for anemia and type of anemia.

2. Thyroid profile - to rule out hypothyroidism

3. Throat examination - to rule out any lesion in the larynx causing the voice change. If there is any, biopsy is necessary to rule out any pathology.

4. Any superficial masses in neck, around the thyroid in the supraclavicular region - fine needle aspiration of mass is required.

Measures is dependent on the cause. Improvement of nutrition with diet rich in egg, read meat, pulses is essential.

Further measures can be advised based on test results. If there are any other specific symptoms like edema, palpitations etc, do let me know.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D