Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for weakness and fatigue

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2138 Questions
My mother is experiencing upper body weakness, lack of energy, and a deep fatigue which appears to steal her stamina even during a simple walk with her rat terrier dog. He voice is hoarse when she speaks and as yet she has not had an effective diagnosis. What kinds of tests or measures should we be looking at?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete hemogram and thyroid profile.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on clinical history, tests necessary are:

1. Complete hemogram or complete blood counts to evaluate for anemia and type of anemia.

2. Thyroid profile - to rule out hypothyroidism

3. Throat examination - to rule out any lesion in the larynx causing the voice change. If there is any, biopsy is necessary to rule out any pathology.

4. Any superficial masses in neck, around the thyroid in the supraclavicular region - fine needle aspiration of mass is required.

Measures is dependent on the cause. Improvement of nutrition with diet rich in egg, read meat, pulses is essential.

Further measures can be advised based on test results. If there are any other specific symptoms like edema, palpitations etc, do let me know.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Geriatics

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor