Owl Image

Suggest medication for loss of voice along with running nose and chest congestion

ENT Specialist
Question
HAVE HAD LOSS OF VOICE FOR THREE MONTHS NO SORE THROAT BUT RUNNY NOSE AND CONGESTION AND EVERY MORNING I COUGH AND HAVE TO BLOW MY NOSE AND COUGH UP FLEM WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT MEDICATION SHOULD I TAKE
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laryngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Loss of voice after nasal or throat infection is usually due to inflammation of the vocal cords leading to laryngitis.
You should get an endoscopic examination of the larynx done to rule out any other vocal cord pathology like a polyp or a nodule.
Please tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Any fever?
Any difficulty in swallowing?
Avoid smoking and take a complete voice rest.
Take steam inhalation.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Suggest medication for loss of voice along with running nose and chest congestion 25 minutes later
I DO SMOKE, NO FEVER, TRIED ANTIBIOTIC FOR 30 DAYS DID NOT WORK MY VOICE HAS COME BACK BUT STILL CAN NOT SING NO DIFFICULTY IN SWALLOWING. THE PHARMACIST SAID THAT I HAD A VIRUS AND THAT ANTIBIOTICS DO NOT WORK BUT I HAVE HAD THIS FOR 3 MONTHS AND THA ANTIBIOTICS DID NOT WORK

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laryngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
As you are not able to sing and the voice is still hoarse in spite of antibiotics you are probably having some laryngeal pathology like a vocal cord polyp or a vocal cord nodule or vocal cord edema.
You should get an endoscopy examination of the larynx done to rule out any such pathology. The treatment will depend upon the diagnosis.
I would advise you not to take any more antibiotics rather take steam inhalation and do a complete voice rest for few days.

Avoid smoking as it may aggravate the symptoms.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards