Can vocal cord dysfunction cause allergies and asthma?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, my 13 year old daughter has been having a tough time breathing. She has allergies and asthma she We've been to the ER twice because it was so bad.
Her lungs and heart checked out fine both times in ER. Chest X-rays and EKG.
We went to her allergist and again her heart and lungs were fine. Inhaler and any other medicines not working.
Allergist said it has all the signs of vocal cord disfunction. She had bronchitis earlier in year. Has gerd, swims indoors with chlorine and recently had a long spell of post basal drip.
Her breathing is labored Even when she is at rest. It has been like this for a month.
We don't have an appointment with DB ENT for another 6 days.
Does this sound like vocal cord dysfunction? What can we do for the next 5 days to try and make it better? How long will it take to see improvements?
If it is not VCD, what can it be?
What can she do for immediate relief? It bothers her all day and effects everything she does.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dyspnoea

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Breathing difficulty can be due to lung disease or cardiac disease or vocal cord pathology.
Vocal cord pathology is always associated with voice changes. It can be diagnosed by doing an endoscopic examination of the larynx.
please tell me if the child is having any voice change?
If the breathing is too laborious, the child must be admitted and investigated. A complete examination of the cheat and lungs is mandatory.
Nebulisation can help to relieve symptoms to some extent till than.
Give the child steam inhalation and continue with the inhalers and sprays.
It would be better if you can send me the chest xray picture.
Any history of Fever?
Any history of noisy breathing?
Any nasal blockage or congestion?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better

Any further questions are always welcome
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Chest xrays and EKG all normal. These were done twice
No fever
Voice seems to be changing a little
Nebulizer and inhalers did not work
Has acid reflux
Had sigificant post nasal drip and a cough

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dyspnoea

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The voice change indicates vocal cord pathology.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and an endoscopic examination of the larynx done to see the cause for the post nasal drip and the vocal cord pathology .
The cough can be due to post nasal drip or acid reflux.
Give her capsule pantoprazole for acid reflux. Avoid any spicy food and aerated drinks.
Drink plenty of water.
My advise is you should consult an Ent specialist and get the child examined.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T