Suggest treatment for vomiting in an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My daughter is two months old. She is taking mother's milk as well as lactogen. Since, mother's milk is not sufficient and she is hungry at times. So we give her lactogen. However, she is vomitting milk a lot these days. We gave her Collicade drops to avoid colic. Please advise. Do we need to change the milk supplement to any other brand???
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do proper burping, Use anti-emetic with acid reducing agent

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I would like to know of vomiting is significant or its small in quantity (more of regurgitation, throwing small amount of milk).
Gastroesophageal reflux is the most common cause because of immature muscles of swallowing. Please make sure that the opening in bottle's nipple is not large as this leads to excessive swallowing of air and thus causes vomiting(milk should not drip itself only by inverting the bottle). Burp him properly and keep him upright fir about 10 minutes after each feed.
You can give anti-emetic like domperidone(domstal) along with acid reducing agent like lansoprazole(Junior lanzol) for better relief.
These are prescription medicine so please get it prescribed by a pediatrician.
I don't think it is related to formula feed or changing formula will help much if there are no associated symptoms like loose motion, excess gas formation etc. You can continue colic medicine as advised.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the response. The vomitting is in small quantity and it is like curd when it comes out of her mouth so we were bit concerned. And she feels very uncomfortable during this time. Cries at times and groans sometime as well.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to reflux

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

The curd like material in vomits is the partially digested milk. As vomiting is not in large amount, it should improve with the burping, propped up position and medicines(anti emetic and acid reducing agent) as I mentioned earlier.
The feeling of uncomfortable will also subside as the reflux will decrease.