Suggest treatment for vertigo

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in GERD
Question: is there a cure for vertigo? My stomach is upset and i feel dizzy going on 2 weeks now
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
YES THERE IS A CURE.

Detailed Answer:
HELLO AND WELCOME

MEDICATIONS ARE AVAILBALE TO TREAT VERTIGO SYMTOMATICALLY THAT IS TAB BETAHISTINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE 8 MG thrice a day.
BUT WE SHOULD TRY TO FIND THE CAUSE.

.
please elaborate to specify that you have vertigo which means a feeling that the place around you is spinning or you are spinning.

Do you have episodes of loss of consciousness , seizures or vomiting

kindly explain whether you have dyspepsia or loose stools. you also need to have your Blood pressure checked whether elevated or decreased.

remember syncope, dizziness requires primarily a cardiac work up.
vertigo mainly requires a neurological workup.

please visit the ER immediately if your condition worsens.

thanks. have a nice day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 11 hours later
My doctor says the crystals in my ear are out of place which causes me to become dizzy. So if I lay on my right and sleep it will usually go away in 1 to 3 days. This time it is lingering for 2 weeks. I was wondering if there is a way to put the crystals back in place and keep them there so I don't have to go through this every 3 months or so?
Have you heard of Inner Ear Balance by Bright Nutrition? I was wondering if it is worth trying.
Brief Answer:
there are ways to reposition the canalith/crystals

Detailed Answer:
hello,

According to your history, you have symptoms of Benign paroxysmal positional Vertigo which is also indicated by the various positional change procedures that you have undergone.

Symptomatic treatment for all peripheral vertigo is Meclizine and in severe cases Diazepam can be given.

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is treated using positional maneuvers that attempt to move the otolith/crystals/densities out of the circular canals. these are called CRP canalith repositioning procedures that need to be performed only under expert supervision.

Since the benefit to risk ratio is high and prognosis is good after just two sessions of CRP, they are the first line treatment in management. After CRP patient should not lie flat for 24 - 48 hours.

Surgery is performed for those patients in whom CRP fails. Its an invasive option and holds the risk of hearing loss and facial nerve damage.

you mentioned a product inner ear balance by bright nutrition. such products don't undergo vigorous clinical trials to monitor side effects and eventual outcome. So one should know the risks while starting such a medication.I would advise you to consult your ENT specialist doctor before considering to use it.

hope you get well, soon.
let me know if you have any other query, if not kindly close the discussion and rate my answer.

thanks. have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
I have taken the meclizine and I have done the CRP canaltith repositioning procedure, it made me terribly sick....I threw up after my head was tilted to the left and when I got home I laid in a recliner for 15 hours feeling really miserable, so I don't think I want to do that treatment again!
Surgery sounds pretty drastic...don't know if I want to risk that.
I guess I'll just try and do what I've been doing....Not lay on my left, not lay flat, and don't look straight up.
My main question was if there was something I could do to prevent it from coming back other than what I am doing (in the previous paragraph)?
Thank you for your time.
Brief Answer:
no proven preventive therapy is currently present.

Detailed Answer:
hello,

vestibular rehabilitation therapy i.e cawthorne exercizes do provide some benefit in long term. unfortunately it involves repeated stimulation of vertigo centre and patient compliance is quite low. currently there is nt any proven therapy that prevents recurrence effectively.

you are most welcome to ask any query you have in your mind.
thanks.