Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for vaginal yeast infection

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13178 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have had what appears to be a vaginal yeast infection for over a week, tried Monistat 3 day and 1 day, taking sitz/vinegar baths, eating yogurt. about 5 days ago, cracks appeared at the sides of my mouth. I also itch all over my body a lot. Muscles sore, but not unusual. I am 44, no periods after ablasion surgery 1 year ago. Not sexually active. Also, my skin is very dry, face with small, dry, weird bumps. What the heck is going on?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs oral antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You are likely to have bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is mostly caused by an anaerobic organism, G.vaginalis. It can be associated with other vaginal infection like yeast infection etc.

Metronidazole or same categorical drug (like Tinidazole/ secnidazole) is the treatment of choice to cure BV. It can be taken as 2 gm single dose. In mixed vaginal infection, AFS kit (combination of Azithromycin, Fluconazole & Secnidazole) is quite effective. Local application of 2% clindamycin gel is also helpful.
You need to get the oral antibiotics prescribed from your gynecologist.
A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Wow. Thank you! I will call gynecologist today. Was afraid it was some kind of immune disorder.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to be afraid.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
No need to be afraid. This is just a simple infection known for recurrence. You will be better after proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Anaerobic organism

doctor1 MD

wife has blood sugar problems, also developed yeast infection in vaginal area, she applied neo sporin to vaginal area, now outer area has a small burns and internal white substance, she did take to pills perscribed by family dr.

doctor1 MD

I want to know why I'm leaking a yellow fluid and it is leaking a lot it's burning when I pee also my vagina hurt a lot even when I seat

doctor1 MD

ok, i have itching on my flaps of my groin, and a greenish brown discharge, and a smell similar to cut grass, and a lot of black dots come out of me whether on the toilet or in the tub. Calamide has been helpful, but is it a cure or a treatment ?

doctor1 MD

The day after having sex with my wife if 11 years, I went to masturbate and noticed a bluish spot under my head that was sore. I finished masturbating and since then it has turned into a dark red raw non-itchy patch. It is very noticeable and makes it sore for oral sex and sex in general. It has been a week and it got no better. Please help!!!

doctor1 MD

I'm just curious on one thing, I'm a 21 years old male. I've been circumcised when I was just a baby. Maybe a two-four months old. My penis when not erect it would only be just 1'1 inch and it would look like it still have heavy skin on it and it is very that small compare to some circumcised non erect penis My friends told me when getting circumcised when just a month old baby and as you grow up your penis would go back to the stage that it will be uncircumcised again. Is this true? Thanks you so much for answering this.