Suggest treatment for vaginal yeast infection

Excellent
Question
I have had what appears to be a vaginal yeast infection for over a week, tried Monistat 3 day and 1 day, taking sitz/vinegar baths, eating yogurt. about 5 days ago, cracks appeared at the sides of my mouth. I also itch all over my body a lot. Muscles sore, but not unusual. I am 44, no periods after ablasion surgery 1 year ago. Not sexually active. Also, my skin is very dry, face with small, dry, weird bumps. What the heck is going on?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs oral antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You are likely to have bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is mostly caused by an anaerobic organism, G.vaginalis. It can be associated with other vaginal infection like yeast infection etc.

Metronidazole or same categorical drug (like Tinidazole/ secnidazole) is the treatment of choice to cure BV. It can be taken as 2 gm single dose. In mixed vaginal infection, AFS kit (combination of Azithromycin, Fluconazole & Secnidazole) is quite effective. Local application of 2% clindamycin gel is also helpful.
You need to get the oral antibiotics prescribed from your gynecologist.
A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal yeast infection 9 hours later
Wow. Thank you! I will call gynecologist today. Was afraid it was some kind of immune disorder.

Grateful,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to be afraid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
No need to be afraid. This is just a simple infection known for recurrence. You will be better after proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.