Suggest treatment for yeast infection in the vaginal area

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: wife has blood sugar problems, also developed yeast infection in vaginal area, she applied neo sporin to vaginal area, now outer area has a small burns and internal white substance, she did take to pills perscribed by family dr.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial and yeast infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
She is currently suffering from bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is mostly caused by an anaerobic organism, G.vaginalis. It can be associated with other vaginal infection like yeast infection etc.

Metronidazole or same categorical drug (like Tinidazole/ secnidazole) is the treatment of choice to cure BV. It can be taken as 2 gm single dose. In mixed vaginal infection, AFS kit (combination of Azithromycin, Fluconazole & Secnidazole) is quite effective. Local application of 2% clindamycin gel is also helpful. All these are prescription medicines and should be taken after consulting a gynecologist. Neosporin ointment will not help.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad